Sound-n-Dry® contains a desiccant that slowly draws out the moisture. The desiccant is non-toxic, safe to use and the colour changes from honey/orange to dark green as moisture is removed from the hearing aids. When this happens it’s time to replace or regenerate the desiccant. This can be done by heating the desiccant in a domestic oven at 100 C for 40 mins. Repeat up to 2 – 3 times if necessary until the desiccant colour returns to honey/orange. Full instructions are enclosed with the unit.
If the hearing aid or Cochlear Implant speech processor has rechargeable batteries (lithium ion) REMOVE THESE FIRST and place on charging unit. For standard disposable batteries (zinc air) leave the battery door open for good air flow.
The desiccant used in Sound-n-Dry® is colour indicating, cobalt free and has a very high adsorption capacity. The adsorption capacity refers to how much moisture the desiccant can hold, this is chemically bound. The unit is simple and economical to use and the unit does not require power to operate. The desiccant is enclosed in a woven sachet that allows moisture to pass through, do not open this sachet. After two to three heating cycles the desiccant loses it’s capacity to efficiently draw out moisture. When this happens it is time to replace the Sound-n-Dry unit.
Caution: Never place hearing aids in the microwave or domestic oven.